« Home | Travel Log: Day 5 » | Travel Log: Day 4 » | Travel Log: Day 3 » | Travel Log: Day 2 » | Travel Log: Day 1 » | Itinerary & Wheels » | You Might Be a Redneck... » | Introduction »

Rest Day in Banff

Today was our day off yay! We basically hurried to Banff so we could spend the entire day to act like tourists and go sightseeing. Andy pulled a few strings abd abused his Banff staff powers to score us a couple of free tickets to go on the Columbia Icefield tour ($135 value each person). We did have to lie about being on Banff staff before getting on the bus. The bus driver caught us off guard and I had to whip up something good... the things you do for free stuff. The weather wasn't as good as we have had thoughout the week. It was rainy in Banff but as we made our way to the Ice Fields the sky cleared up and we were able to entirely see the gigantic mountains.

"Banff Springs Hotel"


"A Mountain"

Our first rest stop was in Lake Louise. The scenery out there is breath taking and so is how much stuff costs at the Chateau Lake Lousie ($6.15 for a regular size bottle of water). Apparently rooms at the Chateau ranges from $800-$1500 per night. Needless to say we felt out of place walking amongst the rich tourists with our beards and big tuques. Some people there even thoguht we were mountaineers due to our rugged looks Ha! ha!

"Lake Louise"

"Chateau Lake Louise"

After a 45 min break, we hopped back on the bus to make a couple more stops to act like real tourists. We finally made it the icefields mid afternoon. I could try to go in the details of what the icefields are and everything else I learned about the rockies but I don't want to bore anyone or start to give out false information. Anyway back to the Icefields, we got to drive in a pretty cool bus with Timberjack tires called an Ice Explorer. The tour guides out there are pretty funny and full of good knowledge of the area. Giving tours all day to about 5,000 people per day during the peak of the season will do that ya eh.

"Ice Fields"

"Ice Explorer"

There were people from all over the world: Ireland, Brazil, Japan, Korea, United Kingdom to name a few. Most tourists that were there were asians (bus loads of them) and I can honestly say that Rob and I were close to being the youngest people on tour. I recommend anyone who has the chance Banff to do so and if it was up to me, I would do it towards the end of September since I hear it's mental during the summer.

Well I better get going because some beers need to be drinked.

Distance Traveled: zero, zip, nada!

Today is also my long time friends from home Eric and Nathalie's wedding. Unfortunately I obviously could not attend the wedding and am utterly disappointed by it. But I want to wish you guys the best of the best in life and you guys look great together!

Haha looks like you two are having a good trip. All those pictures of the rockies looked great, and snaking the free tour was pretty sweet. However the ice fields and the Ice Explorer with Timberjack tires was not very exciting to me. Where I live everyone owns an Ice Explorer with TimberJack tires. But I guess you mainlanders get all excited about simple things. (that being said when I was a young lad I use to get excited about seeing Traffic lights, so I guess I cant poke too much fun.)

Well Keep up with the posting on your blog, its helps me sleep at night knowsing you two are safe and sound. Plus its a good laugh as well. Later on

Hey fruitcakes, it's Andy. You're never online when I need you. I figure your interweb must be shit wherever you happen to be stealing it from. Did you have any luck with those Rudd tickets? let me know, I'm usually online. This can be your favor for the ski pass that I'll be getting you this winter.

-Gay Andy

Post a Comment